Saturday 27 June 2009

In Aland at last - and it's hot!

Well, I'm glad the journey's over! It really was a long day yesterday with 3 flights and a long coach journey into Stockholm, but this morning's 2-hour sailing into Mariehamn was fabulous and extremely scenic. There is a shuttle bus that goes from the ferry terminal on the Western Harbour, all round the centre of Mariehamn. This is basically a train on wheels, with 2 carriages - very elegant! On the way to my hotel we went past 'Games Street' – and the first people I spotted were almost the entire IOM Athletics team! I gave them a regal wave as I proceeded serenely by.

I can't believe how hot it was at lunchtime! It really was almost Rhodes-like and humid too. As I type this at around 5pm local time the edge has dropped off the temperature and it is perfect - t-shirt and shorts weather! This really is a beautiful place, tree-lined, colourful and with masses of character. Games Street is just round the corner from my hotel, and after meeting up with Gail we had a stroll round to see where everything is. The Manxies were out in force – Chris Kinley of Manx Radio was one of the first people we ran into, followed by John Dowling. Gail had to leave for a team meeting at their school accommodation about a mile away, and I went up to the stadium to have a look around. Compared with Shetland and Rhodes it is fantastic, a proper, purpose-built arena with great atmosphere - and the track looks in superb condition. A rehearsal for tonight's Opening Ceremony was going on while I was there.

I picked up my food vouchers and spectator accreditation from the Games Office, where I met John Watty. He is staying in the same accommodation as the team, and was heading back there for a run. He has hired a little moped for the week - I hope someone gets a photo of him on it! Just off Games Street is a fairly large dedicated area on parkland for Island Games people, with numerous stalls selling a wide range of refreshments, souvenirs etc. But basically it is somewhere for competitors and supporters to mingle, and the atmosphere was brilliant today. Greenland, Minorca and the Falklands were out in force, and I also met Manx football official/reporter Eric Clague.

I had a bit of a problem getting the wireless internet connection in the hotel to work initially, but I have sorted it now - this is being published from my room. The hotel (the Savoy - not quite as posh as the one in London but almost as expensive!) is perfectly placed. 2 minutes walk from Games Street and barely 5 minutes walk from the stadium. Talking of which - it's nearly time to head up to the Opening Ceremony. Where did I put that Manx flag...

ps You can watch it too - it's live on

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_islandgames/

No comments:

Post a Comment