Sunday 7 June 2009

Athletics programme and entry lists published

Over the last couple of days, the full programme for the Athletics events has been published on the official website, along with entry lists for each event. This can be viewed at

http://www.natwestislandgames2009.ax/files/athletics_programme.pdf

Well done to the organising committee for getting these published well in advance of the Games - I don't think we saw an 'advance' list of competitors in Rhodes until the very last day of competition!! Many of the pb performances of the athletes have been published, which highlight the fact that the standard is going to be high in most of the events. There are a few weak or poorly-supported events - only 5 competitors in the women's Javelin for example - but generally the standard of competition looks very good.

One huge disappointment to me is that the organisers have chosen to hold the Half Marathon events at the same time as several Track & Field events on the final day of competition. This has certainly not happened in the last 2 Games I have been at, and it will force me as a supporter to choose between watching the Half Marathon or the Track & Field events on the Friday. Naturally I will be supporting Gail and the 3 Manx men in the Half Marathon, so I will miss both 4x400m relays and the Men's 1500m. I will also miss the medal ceremonies for the women's 800m, Men's 400m, Men's 1500m and all 4 relays. As we have a good chance of success in many of these events I feel totally cheated by this to be honest, especially as I have paid a heck of a lot of money to travel to Aland to support the team and the Island Games in general. I feel I am entitled to be able to watch every athletics event.

Considering the athletics programme has been spread over 6 days this time (it is usually 5) I can see no reason for there to be any clashes. This situation will also put pressure on the management team who will have to cover both events. I really hope there is still time for a rethink on this - I have emailed the athletics co-ordinator with some of these thoughts, so will see if there is any reaction. I was hoping to video every event and all the medal ceremonies involving our athletes, but it looks like quite a few on the last day will be missing now!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave,

    In 1991 the half marathon course started and finished with a few laps of the stadium. It then followed a 3 lap course which went through the park right next to the stadium on 3 occasions. In other words spectators could watch the events at the track and then ALL see the half marathon on 5 occasions. If using the same or a similar course this could be their reasoning ie. everyone gets to see a fair chunk of the race and if so hopefully you will feel a little better about the situation.

    I guess we just need to see the course map to know if this will be the case in 2009.

    Andy Fox

    ReplyDelete